As a business owner, marketer, or sales representative, it’s crucial to keep abreast of the latest marketing statistics and trends. This is especially true in the digital marketing industry.
The digital space is ever-changing. The marketing tactics, the technology used, and consumer shopping trends are never constant.
But how do you keep up?
By knowing the latest digital marketing statistics.
In this post, we've curated a list of crucial digital marketing statistics and facts. We'll cover different digital marketing categories including email marketing, social media, content marketing, and mobile e-commerce.
Use this information to gain an edge over your competitors.
Ready to get started?
General Email Marketing Statistics
Email marketing is far from dead. In fact, the statistics below show that it's thriving and still an effective way to connect with customers.
But this strategy does more than that. With email marketing, you can also build and nurture relationships with customers.
Let's take a look at the latest email marketing statistics to discover which tactics to use in your campaign.
1. The number of email-users in 2019 amounted to 3.9 billion. And it is set to grow to 4.48 billion users in 2024. (Statista)
2. 306.4 billion Emails were sent and received every day in 2020. This figure is expected to increase to over 347.3 billion in 2023. (Statista)
3. 51% of consumers prefer to be contacted by brands through email. (Statista)
4. 80% of marketers reported an increase in email engagement over the past year. (HubSpot)
5. 87% of marketers use email for content distribution. (Content Marketing Institute)
6. 46% of emails are opened on mobile devices. (HubSpot)
7. 81% of SMBs rely primarily on email marketing for customer acquisition. 80% rely on this strategy for customer retention. (Emarsys, 2018)
8. 85% of B2B organizations use email marketing software to assist with content marketing. (Content Marketing Institute)
9. 82%. That's the average open rate of welcome emails. This means 8 out of 10 people will open a welcome email. (GetResponse)
10. Welcome emails also have an average click-through rate of 27%. (GetResponse)
11. Email marketing has an average ROI of 3800%. This means for every $1 spent, you'll generate $38. (Barilliance)
12. 18% of companies achieve ROI greater than $70 for every $1. (Barilliance)
13. 49% of consumers say they prefer to receive promotional emails from their favorite brands on a weekly basis. (Statista)
14. Email marketing is nearly 40x more effective in acquiring customers than Facebook and Twitter. (McKinsey & Company)
15. 30% of marketers use audience segmentation strategies to boost email engagement, (HubSpot)
16. 59% of marketers say email marketing is their number one source of ROI. (Emma)
General Social Media Marketing Statistics
Social media platforms have become an integral part of digital marketing.
When you're curating digital marketing statistics, it pays to take a closer look at the power of social media. With these channels, brands can …
So without further ado, let's dive into the latest statistics to know the trends and strategies used by marketers.
1. An estimated 3.6 billion people are using social media worldwide. This figure is projected to increase to 4.41 billion in 2025. (Statista)
2. 98% of sales reps with 5000+ LinkedIn connections meet or surpass quota. (HubSpot)
3. 95% of B2B marketers use social media content. The other top 2 types of content used are blog articles (89%) and email newsletters (81%). (Content Marketing Institute)
4. 91% of B2B marketers use social media as a free content distribution channel. (Content Marketing Institute)
5. Ad spending in social media advertising is projected to reach $98,646 million in 2020. The average ad spend per user is $21.91. (Statista)
6. 89% of social media messages go ignored. (Sprout Social)
7. The average brand response time on social media is 10 hours. But people are only willing to wait a maximum of 4 hours. (Sprout Social)
8. 54% of social browsers use social media platforms to research products. (GlobalWebIndex)
9. As of 2019, internet users worldwide spend around 144 minutes a day on social media. (Statista)
10. Online users in the Philippines spend an average of 3 hours and 53 minutes on social media every day. U.S. online users spend around 2 hours and 3 minutes. (Statista)
11. 70% of social marketers say their top goal for social media is to boost brand awareness. (Sprout Social)
12. 77% of consumers will buy from a brand they follow on social. (Sprout Social)
13. Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter are the most commonly used social media platforms by marketers. (HubSpot)
1. Facebook has over 2.7 billion monthly active users as of Q2 of 2020. That said, it is the biggest social network worldwide. (Statista)
2. 98% of active user accounts worldwide use Facebook via any kind of mobile phone. (Statista)
3. More than 1.6 billion people worldwide are connected to a small business on Facebook. (Facebook, 2018)
4. 66% of consumers say they Like or Follow a brand on Facebook. (Sprout Social)
5. 3% of social media advertisers use Facebook ads on a regular basis. (Social Media Examiner)
6. 96% of B2C marketers focused on Facebook. (Social Media Examiner)
7. Video promotions are as important as photo promotions. (Social Bakers)
8. 42% of social marketers have developed a strategy for Facebook Live. That said, Live video is becoming an integral part of their digital strategy. (Sprout Social)
9. 59% of marketers say the most important social platform is Facebook. (Social Media Examiner)
10. 76% of video marketers plan to include Facebook in their 2020 video marketing strategy. (Wyzowl, 2020)
11. 79% of video marketers use Facebook. 85% of them say it's been a success which makes Facebook more effective as a video marketing channel than YouTube. (Wyzowl, 2020)
1. LinkedIn has 62.1 million active users in the United States. This figure is projected to reach 66.8 million monthly active users in the United States. (Statista)
2. More than 30 million companies are listed on the platform. (Oberlo)
3. A staggering 95% of B2B marketers say they use LinkedIn for organic content marketing. It is also the top choice for those who use paid social platforms. (Content Marketing Institute)
4. In 2019, LinkedIn InMail is the third most-used candidate outreach channel globally. (HubSpot)
5. 36% of buyers "strongly agree" that an informative LinkedIn profile is important for a salesperson. (LinkedIn, 2020)
6. LinkedIn is the most successful channel for video marketers (87%) in 2019. 87% of LinkedIn video marketers describe it as an effective channel. (Wyzowl, 2020)
7. 66% of video marketers say they plan to include LinkedIn in their 2020 video marketing strategy. (Wyzowl, 2020)
8. Linkedin posts with images result in a 98% higher comment rate than text-only posts. (SocialPilot)
9. 99.37% of LinkedIn search traffic comes from organic search. (SocialPilot)
10. LinkedIn is 277% more effective for lead generation than other social platforms like Facebook and Twitter. (Hubspot)
11. 80% of B2B leads come from LinkedIn.
12. 92% of B2B marketers use LinkedIn over other social media platforms. (LinkedIn, 2017)
13. Over 600 million LinkedIn users can be reached through advertisements on the platform. (SocialPilot)
1. Instagram has nearly 1 billion monthly active users as of January 2020. (Omnicore Agency)
2. As of July 2020, 33.8% of global Instagram users were aged between 25 and 34 years old. (Statista)
3. This platform has nearly 500 million daily active users. They are logging in daily and actively engaging. (AdEspression)
4. 200 million users visit at least one business profile daily. (Hootsuite)
5. 7 out of 10 hashtags on Instagram are branded. (SocialPilot)
6. 849.3 million users. That's Instagram's potential advertising reach. (Hootsuite)
7. In 2020, Instagram will reach 112.5 million users in the United States. (eMarketer)
8. U.S. marketers spend 31% of their Instagram ad budget on Stories. (Hootsuite)
9. 34% of Instagram sponsored content worldwide were Story posts. (eMarketer)
10. 62% of Instagram users say they became more interested in a brand or product after seeing it in Stories. (Instagram)
11. 75% of Instagram users say they made a purchase after seeing it on the app. (SocialPilot)
12. 11% of consumers in the United States shop on Instagram. (Hootsuite)
13. Instagram videos received 21.2% higher interactions than single photos. And received 18.6% more engagement than carousel posts. (SocialPilot)
14. 28% of video marketers plan to include IGTV in their 2020 video marketing strategy. (Wyzowl, 2020)
15. Instagram has an engagement rate/post of 2.26%. It is the most engaging platform compared to Facebook (0.21%) and Twitter (0.06%). (Social Insider)
16. User-generated content has a 4.5% higher conversion rate than its counterpart. (SocialPilot)
17. Sponsored videos get 3x more comments than sponsored images. (SocialPilot)
18. 54% of marketers feel they're not maximizing their use of Instagram to achieve their goals. (Contently & Libris)
1. Twitter has 330 million monthly active users and 145 million daily active users. (Oberlo)
2. Twitter is one of the top three social channels with the highest ROI. (HubSpot)
3. 18 minutes. The amount of time it takes to reach audiences before being buried in new tweets. (SocialPilot)
4. 79% of Twitter users like to discover "what's new". Making Twitter the number one platform for discovery. (Twitter)
5. People spend 26% more time viewing ads on the platform than other social channels. (Twitter)
6. Link clicks account for 92% of all user interaction with tweets. This statistic is crucial since link clicks are your strongest chance of getting your content discovered. (HubSpot)
7. Tweets with images receive 89% more likes, 150% more retweets, and 18% more click-throughs than their counterparts. (SocialPilot)
8. 38% of video marketers plan to include Twitter in their 2020 video marketing strategy. (Wyzowl, 2020)
9. 31% of people are more likely to recall what they saw on Twitter versus general online browsing. (Twitter)
10. Companies using Twitter for customer service experienced a 19% increase in customer satisfaction. (SocialPilot)
11. Only 3% of tweets about customer service issues tagged the company's user handle. (HubSpot)
12. There's a 43% decrease in customer advocacy when companies fail to respond to tweets. (SocialPilot)
13. 52% of people say they bought a product they first saw on Twitter. (Webfx, 2017)
14. Twitter Ads during live events are 11% more effective at stimulating mental engagement than TV ads. (Twitter)
15. 81% of Twitter users say the platform impacts their purchasing decisions more than TV. (Webfx, 2017)
16. 67% of B2B marketers use Twitter to market their business. (SocialPilot)
1. TikTok was the third most downloaded non-gaming app in the world. It generated over 1.5 billion downloads. (HubSpot)
2. TikTok has over 800 million active users worldwide. (Datareportal)
3. There are around 45.4 million users in the United States alone. (Statista)
4. 41% of TikTok users are aged between 16 and 24 years old. (GlobalWebIndex)
5. 52 minutes per day. That's the average amount of time users spend on the app. (CNBC)
6. TikTok is available in over 150 countries. (TikTok)
7. 35% of TikTok users have participated in a hashtag challenge. (Hootsuite)
8. TikTok remains largely untapped. Only around 1 in every 10 video marketers use it for their campaigns. 66% of those who used the platform reported seeing success. (Wyzowl, 2020)
9. 15% of video marketers plan to include TikTok in their 2020 video marketing strategy. (Wyzowl, 2020)
10. Brands are currently buying TikTok's in-feed ads for $10 per impression with a $6,000 minimum campaign spend. (SocialPilot)
General Content Marketing Statistics
Today, people look at different online media to consume content. And when we talk about content, it's not only limited to blog posts. It now takes the form of video, photos, social media posts, eBooks, and more.
That said, content marketing is still the bread and butter of digital marketing. The goal is to provide relevant media so your audience will learn more about your business, products, and services.
Use the following content marketing statistics as benchmarks. These statistics show how other marketers are reaching their audience and how they're addressing their challenges.
Ready to get started?
1. 98% of marketers surveyed across 39 countries are investing in content marketing. (SEMrush, 2019)
2. 86% of B2B marketers say they have achieved brand awareness by using content marketing successfully in the last 12 months. (Content Marketing Institute)
3. Roughly 40% of marketers say Content Marketing is "very important" to their overall marketing strategy. (HubSpot)
4. Growth hackers, startups, and e-commerce use the power of content. (SEMrush, 2019)
5. Marketers use Total Sales as a measurement of success for content marketing. Web Traffic comes second. (HubSpot)
6. 51% of marketers said the most important metric for measuring content engagement was the number of sales generated. (Statista, 2019)
7. "Content marketing strategy" is the most searched phrase in Google related to content marketing. (SEMrush, 2019)
8. Nearly 50% of B2B marketers expect their content marketing budget to increase in 2020. (Content Marketing Institute)
9. More than 50% of all B2B buyers view at least 8 pieces of content during their buyer's journey. 82% say they viewed at least 5 pieces of content from the brand before purchasing. (Blue Corona)
10. Video is the #1 form of media used in content strategy. It overtook blogs and infographics. (HubSpot)
11. Promotional videos and Brand Storytelling are the most common video types created by marketers. (HubSpot)
12. 18% of marketers use WordPress as their website content management system. (HubSpot)
13. 49% of buyers surveyed say they use Google to discover or find a new item or product. (Think with Google)
14. 55% of marketers say articles and blog posts were the most valuable content type for moving prospects through the sales funnel. (Statista, 2019)
15. 41% of B2B content marketers have a documented content marketing strategy. (Content Marketing Institute)
16. Facebook is the primary distribution for content. (HubSpot)
17. 84% of B2B marketers are outsourcing content creation. (Content Marketing Institute)
18. Photos and posts with images are the content type used to increase audience engagement. (HubSpot)
19. The most popular role in a content marketing team is a content writer/creator. Followed by a social media manager (36%) and SEO content manager. (SEMrush, 2019)
20. 35% of B2B marketers say they have 2 to 5 internal team members who are dedicated to content marketing. (Content Marketing Institute)
21. 54% of companies say creating content that generates quality leads is their biggest challenge with content marketing. (SEMrush, 2019)
22. The prevailing content formats are blog posts (86%), case studies (42%), and success stories (36%). (SEMrush, 2019)
23. Global content marketing growth is projected to rise by 1.9% this year. (MediaPost)
24. Marketing (81%), Social Media (50%), and Strategy (42%) are the top three skills required in the content marketing industry. (SEMrush, 2019)
General Mobile Marketing Statistics
There are over 6.95 billion mobile users worldwide. That said, mobile is no longer a new technology used for product research and purchasing. In fact, it's predicted that mobile devices will influence more than $1.4 trillion in local sales by 2021.
So, optimize your digital marketing strategy to include mobile e-commerce.
Below is a curated list of mobile marketing statistics. Use them to understand the latest trends so you can optimize mobile performance.
1. Consumers spend more than 5 hours a day on their smartphones. (AdWeek)
2. There's an 88% growth year over year in time spent watching videos on a smartphone. (AdWeek)
3. 7 out of 10 minutes spent on YouTube videos come from mobile devices. (Siteefy)
4. Mobile accounts for approximately 51.53% of web traffic worldwide. (Statista)
5. 58% of smartphone users prefer companies whose mobile sites or apps remember who they are and their past behavior. (HubSpot)
6. 60% of smartphone users have contacted a business directly using search results. For example, using the "click to call" option. (Think with Google)
7. 75% of smartphone users expect to get immediate information while using their smartphone. (Think with Google)
8. 69% of consumers look up customer reviews on a product or service on their phones. (eMarketer)
9. Consumers are 35x more likely to open mobile messages than emails. (HubSpot)
10. 79% of smartphone users say they've made a purchase online using their mobile devices. (OuterBox)
11. 66% of digital buyers check promotional offers or discounts offered to them using a retailer's mobile app while in-store. (eMarketer)
12. 62% of consumers would like to confirm a service appointment via messages. But only 41% do so today. (HubSpot)
13. 85% of mobile advertisers believe they're offering a positive experience. But only 47% of mobile users agree. (Venture Harbour)
14. 60% of consumers will click on mobile ads weekly or more. (Business Insider)
15. Two-third of internet users say they use shopping apps on their mobile devices. (Datareportal)
Quick Digital Advertising Statistics
We're coming to the end of our curated digital marketing statistics.
But before we part ways, we'll give you a few quick digital advertising statistics. Get the best return on investment in your paid advertising strategy with these facts and statistics.
1. Facebook and Google Search advertising provide the highest ROI. (HubSpot)
2. Advertisers can reach more than 2 billion people on Facebook. (Datareportal)
3. The average cost per action in AdWords across all industries is $48.96 for search. And $75.51 for display. (Wordstream)
4. The average cost-per-click in the marketing industry is $3.33. (HubSpot)
5. The most expensive medical industry keyword CPC is $165. (HubSpot)
6. Roughly 40% of marketers say that paid advertising is "very important" to their overall marketing strategy. (HubSpot)
7. In 2019, roughly 25.8% of internet users were blocking advertising on their connected devices. (Statista)
There you have it!
Hopefully, these curated digital marketing statistics for 2020 gave you a good overview of the latest trends. Staying up-to-date may seem daunting. Especially when the digital arena is always evolving.
But curated lists like this one will give you a quick outline of what's important. Use this digital marketing statistic report to create a strategy that will stay relevant and effective.
P.S. To stay ahead of the curve, check out my article on Social Media Facts.